Nunhead Knocks Signposting

The aim of this document is to give you, the volunteer, a quick reference guide to ensure each request is matched with a relevant body. As a first port of call, please familiarise yourself with Southwark Council’s Family Information Directory - for parenting support, childcare, activities, schools, healthcare, or services for children with special needs, Southwark Wellbeing Hub - also at 0207 780 7300 - who provide information and support to anyone living in Southwark who is worried about the wellbeing of themselves or someone they know, and Citizens Advice Southwark Adviceline - also at 0344 499 4134 (Mon-Fri) for free, confidential, independent and impartial advice to help people resolve their problems with money, housing, employment, certain legal issues, and much more besides. For enquiries that require adult social care, please look at our internal document.

For more specific enquiries, please see the below list (which is by no means exhaustive and should be added to/amended whenever better information comes to light!).


Southwark Council’s Family Information directory lists a range of different services on offer in the borough: 0800 013 0639 (Monday-Friday).

The following facebook group has been set up to offer free childcare for all key workers. There is no phone number available.

Children's Mental Health and Wellbeing

Place2Be 020 79235500

YoungMinds 0808 802 5544

Access to Technology & Online Services

South London Cares helps with tech support (including getting people on to Zoom and the like) 020 7118 0404

Mental Health & Wellbeing

Some of these are phone support lines only. Others have a website link, or a contact form and offer text or email based support. Some have both. Some are national, some local. Click on the links for more information.

Samaritans 116 123 (24 hours, every day)

Saneline 0300 304 7000 (4.30pm to 10.30 every day)

MIND have specific advice for the pandemic

The Mix (for under 25’s only) 0800 800 4994

Blackfriars Settlement 07716 459314 or 07716 458577

The centre is currently closed, help is by phone only.

Southwark Carers are providing support to any unpaid carers 0207 708 4497 or email via the link.

FRED is providing a helpline for young people experiencing mental health problems or anxiety throughout the pandemic 0333 332 4050

Switchboard is an LGBTQ helpline, via phone, text/chat or email 0300 330 0630

The Nest is a Southwark Council mental health hub for young people aged 13 and above. Phone 020 8138 1805 (freephone) or email.

Domestic Violence and abuse

National Domestic Abuse Helpline (Refuge) 0808 2000 247 (freephone; 24 hour helpline; confidential; many languages) Helpline information and secure messaging form and chatbox.

SOLACE 0808 802 5565 (Helpline) 020 7593 1290 (Southwark service). Staffed 9-6. or

Free and confidential advice and support for women in London affected by abuse - aged 16 or over who may be subject to physical, sexual, psychological or financial abuse within an intimate or family relationship. Support for people who have a history of being abusive and would like to address their behaviour (SDVPP programme).

Respect 0808 8010327 (freephone 9am - 5pm / 8pm depending on the day) and email

Advisors provide emotional support, practical advice and information to male victims of domestic abuse. Also provides advice for friends and family, and frontline workers.

National LGBT+ domestic abuse helpline 0800 999 5428

Advice on welfare, benefits, debt & employment

Turn2Us provide financial advice to support people get back on track. They have local services in Southwark. Turn2Us helps people in financial need gain access to welfare benefits, charitable grants and other financial help – online, by phone and face to face through our partner organisations. Phone: 020 3751 9684 or 07849 084368.

Citizens Advice Southwark Universal Credit helpline can help get you set up on UC, help you while you’re waiting on your first payment, and with any other general enquiries. 0800 144 8444.

Age UK are taking queries from older people (anyone over 50) in Southwark relating to benefits emergencies and or housing repair/utility emergencies and community care advice. Age UK also offer support with disability benefits applications, form filling and digital skills. 0207 358 4077.

Clean Slate/Quids In! offer help with employment, money guidance and digital support: 020 3540 7421 or email.

Southwark Works help residents to access jobs, training and apprenticeships. Job vacancies are posted online, phone to apply for specific jobs. 020 7740 8200 or 0800 052 0540.

Southwark Carers offer an emergency 24 hour support line. There are thousands of unpaid carers in Southwark and this organisation supports people to have a life outside caring. 0207 708 4497.

Southwark Pensioners are offering advice on welfare benefits, housing, employment, transport, grants, energy, debt and consumer issues. 0207 708 4556.

Food Resources

The Salvation Armyare offering meals to homeless people Phone: 020 7639 7292 / Email

Southwark Foodbanks Number for Pecan in Peckham 020 7732 0007 (Note on website: We have moved to home delivery only (except for our Wednesday session at City Hope Church). We will arrange delivery with you when we receive a voucher from a referral agency. If you need to find out how to get a voucher, please email

Central Southwark Community Hub offer 3-day food packages: Phone number 020 7703 1653

Please note on their website this message: clients need to be referred to ( before a visit is made. Vouchers are required from a referring agency to access support.

The Bridge are delivering fresh food and cooking instructions to Southwark residents Phone 07898071569

Dad’s House Food Bank 07765 183504 and ask for Billy. Dads House Unit 239, Elephant and Castle shopping centre, London SE1 6TE

Vouchers are not required. Queues are long, be prepared to wait.

Gas & Electricity

Groundwork UK offer phone consultations to assess energy use and affordability going forward Tel: 0121 236 8565 - request form on website for returning calls

South East London Community Energy are providing free energy advice for those who are self-isolating. To book a FREE telephone advice session with a trained advisor, please call 0808 169 1779 or email:

Useful blog from The Poor Side of Life (more for your own reference than for requester)

Immigration Advice

Breaking Barriers can offer support with employment, education and prospects: Webform to complete with some phone numbers but please note the following on their website: ‘We are temporarily pausing new referrals while our service delivery is suspended. Referrals during this period will be added to a waiting list and contacted as soon as delivery is resumed.’

Rightsnet has the latest welfare law developments. Information only, no contact

South London Refugee Association work with refugees, asylum seekers and other migrants who are in crisis or at risk Phone 0203 490 3443

Latin American Women’s Advice (LAWA) offer holistic and intersectional services, providing everything a BME woman needs to recover from abuse and live empowered lives. We welcome women of all abilities, from any cultural context, ethnicity, social class, religion and sexuality. We are proud to be bisexual, lesbian, queer and trans women inclusive. 07534 424826 (English/Spanish) and 07308 305295 (English/Portuguese).

Migrant Legal Action offers advice on immigration issues over the phone, Monday to Friday 2-5pm (0203 1501470)


Southwark Wellbeing Hubhas a range of services to help with a variety of housing needs:

Southwark Group of Tenants Organization (SGTO) are helping to connect people with the tenants’ and residents’ associations Phone 020 7639 6718

Southwark Law Centre are offering advice on housing and benefits, follow link to appropriate phone number for request

Shelter Southwark offer free and independent advice and support for people needing help to access safe, secure and affordable housing Helpline for London 0344 515 1540

Albert Kennedy Trust (020 7831 6562), Stonewall Housing (020 7359 5767) and The Outside Project are all LGBTQ specific housing support services).

Did this answer your question?